The Book of Proverbs is a very inspirational Book of the Bible to get design ideas from. Some of the verses are witty and make great sayings on Christian t-shirts, pillows, and other Christian merch.
Who Wrote the Book of Proverbs?
While most of the Book is linked to and likely authored by Solomon, one of the wisest men in the Old Testament of the Bible, some verses indicate that the Book contains “sayings of the wise,” or wise men, not only Solomon himself.
The Bible Study Tools website goes more in-depth about the Book, its authors, scribes, and prophets that contributed to it, and about when it was written and eventually compiled into the Book of the Bible.
I will say, though, that The Bible Project, in my opinion, provides one the best overviews not only of Proverbs, but of every Book of the Bible! I usually go back and watch these videos again when reading through a Book during Bible study.
Humorous and Sarcastic Similes Make Interesting Reading
There are myriad similes used throughout the Book; some are humorous and others are rather sarcastic. I’ve read through the Book of Proverbs a couple of times and I never cease to laugh at some of the verses.
A good bit of Proverbs is made up of short, two-line verses, but those few words have very deep meaning, so the Book is worth reading more than just once. In fact, ancient Bible proverbs are likely more interesting and hold a deeper meaning than “ancient Chinese secrets” or proverbs.
Some Favorite Sayings from The Book of Proverbs
Here are a few of the verses we’ve designed onto our Christian t-shirts and other merch:
- “Pride Goes Before Destruction.” – Prov. 16:18
- “Wicked people run away when no one chases them.” Prov. 28:1
- “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” Prov. 16:9
- “If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small.” Prov. 24:10
- “Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace.” Prov. 17:28
- “Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge. But he who hates correction is stupid.” Prov. 12:1
- “A merry heart does good like medicine. But a broken spirit dries the bones.” Prov. 17:22
- “Trust in the Lord.” Prov. 3:5
I’m sure as I read through Proverbs again I’ll find more witticisms to add to my Book of Proverbs collection.
What’s your favorite Book of the Bible? Have you read through Proverbs yet? What was your favorite verse?